Reflection #8: 

An evaluation of outcomes and future decisions regarding my digital and collaborative innovation.

I was curious and looked forward to the outcomes regarding my year one students’ behaviour, when I use iPads for the implementation of place-based projects.

I observed that my students explored using iPads after some careful user-instructions. They have only used iPads for online reading and some parents and students confirmed through the questionnaires that their children are not yet competent with iPads. Thus, it would be easier for me to ask only competent students to get involved in video-recording. However, all students need to develop agency for their learning (Parsons & MacCallum, 2019).

We went outside with 10 Ipads so students could connect with nature (Lloyd and Gray, 2014). I supported students but they also supported each other, while sharing devices.

Later, our librarian shared place-based project information, and I observed my early adopters, early majority, as well as the laggards. I was anxious as I watched the learners, - they were so involved in video-recording, and to me and the librarian it looked like they didn’t listen at all. But I knew what was happening and I had to reassure her. Students continued to support each other. I heard conversations like “no, it’s still green, press the button to show red,” and “wait, let me show you!” I couldn’t help but smile. I praised my students for their positive behaviour and support to each other, which sustain our positive relationships (MoE, n.d.).

Some students found it hard to find their names, in order to save their videos, so perhaps they haven’t had that much of practice to identify the icon next to their names. However, students easily revisited their videos online in order to create their posters of trees. This process went as planned. We were able to make recycled paper at the end of the same week. They were amazed to learn that paper comes from trees.

The next questionnaires showed that most children are more competent, and also that whanau are involved in children’s learning and appreciated the results of posters and videos.

Regarding expected outcomes, -surprisingly, - the students who I thought would be early adopters, truly were so indeed, (Robinson, 2009) however, there were more than just two! The late majorities and laggards were indeed the students I thought they would be. Those who were hesitant (Rogers, 1962) received more personal support, and they agreed to give the videoing a go too.

I think that my students engaged at an emotional level, as I have a positive relationship with them (Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership, 2016) and I could see they enjoyed these sessions according to their verbal feedback. Also, our teacher-student collaborative relationships have been strengthened. I have certainly noticed positive behaviour in my classroom with most students involved (MoE, n.d.) which I was hoping to see. With online videos, and messages back and forth from me to whanau, I feel that our reciprocal relationships are respectful and again strengthened further as parents could see and appreciate their children’s online learning (Rangahau, n.d.). Therefore, I do think that my students were engaged in their learning while using Ipads (Berryman et al., 2018).

Also, an expected outcome from the New Zealand curriculum regarding technology (Technology in the NZ Curriculum, 2017), shows me that my students at level 1 should engage in authentic learning. They should also understand that online devices are used for the input and output of material, and that an iPad has performing assets (Technology in the NZ Curriculum, 2017). Thus, it is important for my students to know how to confidently operate an iPad on a basic level while being involved in learning (Harris et al., 2013) which most of them are able to.

They need to know how to switch it on, make sure it is charged and how to charge it, where to go on the device for video recording, and how to save the work, but also how to revisit it for further learning and leaving comments.

Regarding unexpected outcomes, the group of early adopters was much smaller however, some did not quite master all the skills they needed to take videos of our guest speaker, even though they were very eager. They needed more practice and support which make me wonder whether I have given them enough time to work through the steps of using the devices collaboratively (Bicheno and Holweg, 2000). This is something I need to work on in the near future. Gladly, my effective classroom organization as well as using positive reinforcement helped to create an optimistic environment (Johansen et al., 2011). My students were really eager and excited and were empowered (Roche, 2019) and we sometimes under-estimate the value thereof.

For the future, I want my students to make learning videos at home, and post those on Seesaw. I would like to do some research about online story telling as well a play-based learning.

Being on this programme has given my opportunities in exploring and researching about digital and collaborative learning. It has given me the confidence in myself to believe that I can improve, apply and further my life-long learning. This was hard work, but an unforgettable journey working alongside amazing people.



References:

Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership. (2016). Engagement in Australian schools. Retrieved from http://www.acleadersresource.sa.edu.au/features/engagement-in-learning/workshop-1/Handout_4_Engagement_in_Australian_Schools.pdf

Berryman, M., Lawrence, D., & Lamont, R. (2018). Cultural relationships for responsive pedagogy. Set: Research Information for Teachers, 1, 3-10.

Bicheno, J. & Holweg, M. (2000). The Lean Toolbox (Vol. 4). Buckingham: PICSIE books.

Harris, A., Jones, M. & Baba, S. (2013). Distributed leadership and digital collaborative learning: A synergistic relationship? British Journal of Educational Technology. Vol 44 No 6.

Johansen, A., Little, S. G., & Akin-Little, A. (2011). An Examination of New Zealand Teachers' Attributions and Perceptions of Behaviour, Classroom Management, and the Level of Formal Teacher Training Received in Behaviour Management. Kairaranga, 12(2), 3-12.

Lloyd, A., & Gray, T. (2014). Place-based outdoor learning and environmental sustainability within Australian primary schools. Journal of Sustainability Education, 1(Sep).

Ministry of Education. (n.d.). Incredible Years Teacher. Retrieved from https://pb4l.tki.org.nz/Incredible-Years-Teacher

Parsons, D. & MacCallum, K. (2019). Agile Education, Lean Learning. In D. Parsons & K. MacCallum (Eds.), Agile and Lean Concepts for Teaching and Learning: Bringing Methodologies from Industry to the Classroom. Singapore: Springer.

Rangahau (n.d.). Principles of Kaupapa Māori. Retrieved from http://www.rangahau.co.nz/research-idea/27/

Robinson, L. (2009). A summary of diffusion of innovations. Enabling change, 5(10).

Roche, M. (2019). Five key values of strong Māori leadership. The Conversation. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/five-key-values-of-strong-Māori -leadership-105565

Rogers, E. (1962). Diffusion of Innovations. New York: Free Press of Glencoe.

Technology in the New Zealand Curriculum. (2017). Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/pmkle/Downloads/Technology%20in%20the%20New%20Zealand%20Curriculum%202017.pdf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog